Sunday, 18 August 2013

Holiday Cottage Fife visit to St Rules tower St Andrews Fife

Holiday Cottage Fife visit to St Rules tower St Andrews
St Rule’s Church  tower, was built in 1130 a first place of worship for the Augustinian canons. This priestly order took the placeof  the Culdees, a Celtic monastic order that had been present on the site for centuries. The 30m lofty tower may have been a meeting point for pilgrims heading for the shrine of St Andrew.
St Rules tower is cared for by Historic Scotland
 



All photos copyright Holiday Cottage Fife 2013